Pensioner who was mistakenly circumcised receives £20k compensation

Terry Brazier said 'it could have been worse'

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A grandfather has been awarded £20,000 in compensation after he was mistakenly circumcised instead of receiving routine bladder treatment.

Terry Brazier, 70, entered Leicester Royal Infirmary expecting to have botox injected into his bladder, but was told afterwards that he had actually been circumcised.

The hospital said it was "deeply and genuinely sorry".

The error occurred in November 2018, and has been classed as a “never event" by the hospital, which according to NHS guidelines is a “serious and entirely preventable” incident.

It was one of eight "never events" that occurred at Leicester's Hospitals in 2018, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Mr Brazier told his local paper, the Leicester Mercury, how staff broke the news.

“They came in and said to me ‘We’re very sorry, but we’ve circumcised you’ and I just said ‘Oh, have you?’" he recounted.

“What else could I say? I was stunned, I couldn’t believe what they were telling me.”

He continued: “There’s been the jokes but there is a serious side to all of this. 

“It could have been even worse for someone else, someone could end up having the wrong body part amputated." 

Andrew Furlong, Medical Director at University Hospitals of Leicester said in a statement: “We take events like this very seriously and carried out a thorough investigation at the time to ensure that we learnt from this incident and do all we can to avoid it happening again.

“Whilst money can never undo what happened, we hope this payment provides some compensation.”

Medical negligence lawyer Laurence Vick said that while "never events" are rare, they are "blunders that should never happen".

He told talkRADIO's Matthew Wright: "I suppose the NHS would say they’re under grave pressure but there are certain steps that have to be taken whatever pressure they’re under."

Read more

Eight out of 10 doctors say NHS under-funding affects safety, British Medical Association finds

‘Tiny traces’ of listeria in food unlikely to affect people