Pet parrot accidentally poisons dogs by feeding them grapes

Pet parrot accidentally poisons dogs by feeding them grapes

A parrot fed pet dogs grapes (Stock image)

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A parrot has accidentally poisoned three pet dogs by feeding them grapes.

The bird mimicked the owner's voice to call the dogs nearer to its cage and feed them grapes, according to The News.

Grapes contain a substance which in dogs can cause cause acute renal failure, which could potentially be fatal.

The owners were out of the house in West Sussex on Sunday afternoon (March 26) when the incident happened.

Luckily upon their return owner Helen Finch realised what had gone on when she found the grapes missing.

She then took the two Maltese Terriers and Shih Tzu Pug to the vets, where they were treated with activated charcoal to prevent absorption of the toxins.

They were also given intravenous fluids to clear their kidneys before being allowed home.

Finch has said she will no longer keep grapes in the house, to prevent a similar incident happening again.