Police acted 'unlawfully' in Carl Beech case, says former judge

Carl Beech has been jailed for 18 years

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

A former High Court judge has accused police of breaking the law in order to obtain search warrants for the homes of alleged abusers in the Carl Beech case.

The Metropolitan Police conducted a two-year-long investigation into Beech’s false claims that he was abused by a circle of murderous VIP Westminster paedophiles, at a cost of £2 million.

The probe ended without a single arrest, but not before police obtained warrants to raid the homes of men falsely accused of abuse by Beech, including former Tory MP Harvey Proctor and Normandy veteran Lord Edwin Bramall.

However, Sir Richard Henriques, who in 2016 ran a review of the investigation, said he believes warrants to search the properties of high-profile figures were "obtained unlawfully".

His review found more than 40 areas of concern regarding the actions of investigating officers involved in what was dubbed 'Operation Midland', which ran from 2014 to 2016.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said last week that no officers would face misconduct charges over the case.

But Sir Richard wrote in a newspaper column that three applications for search warrants stated Beech's allegations had been consistent, but he had not found that to be the case.

He concluded: “I remain unable to conclude that every officer acted with due diligence and in good faith.”

Ex-MP Mr Proctor said he was “pleased” with Sir Richard’s comments and called for the Met and the Home Secretary to set up an independent investigation into the handling of the case.

Beech, who himself is a paedophile, was found guilty of voyeurism and possession of indecent images, and has been sentenced to 18 years behind bars for 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one of fraud.

Read more

‘Manipulative and devious’ Carl Beech jailed for 18 years

Carl Beech case: Police were in 'post-Jimmy Savile frenzy'