Police officers attacked with knife while attending bogus 999 call, court told

Monday, April 8, 2019

Four police officers were savagely attacked in the line of duty by a knifeman who lured them with a bogus 999 call, a court has heard

Alex Traykov, 20, allegedly used the alias Solomon to report of a fight in Islington, north London, on the evening of October 6 last year.

When the officers arrived at the address, Taykov opened the door and attacked them with “extreme violence” the Old Bailey heard.

Prosecutor Duncan Atkinson QC said: "Nothing could have prepared them for what awaited them or the fact that rather than seeking to break up violence against others they were about to be subjected to extreme violence themselves.

"Without hesitation or warning, and certainly without the slightest provocation from the officers, he raised his right hand and proceeded to attack the officers."

Traykov first attacked PC Istarlin Said-Ali, 31, bringing the blade down on her head, cutting her hand as she warded off a second blow, jurors heard.

He then allegedly ran at the other officers, lunging at PC Rafal Zedziora, 34, inflicting a 1.6in (4cm) cut to his face and slashing the back of his neck.

He wounded 40-year-old PC Ben Thomson's arm and continued to rain down blows, Mr Atkinson said.

Trayvok, from Redhill, Surrey, was Tasered twice and was finally subdued by PC Launa Watkins, 39, the court was told.

Mr Atkinson said: "It is clear that the defendant was acting throughout in a determined way, making a series of deliberate large movements of the knife towards the officers.

"He continued after them as they sought to retreat. He continued to stab at them after they had fallen to the ground.

"He only desisted from carrying out his attack because of the intervention of the Taser-wielding officer, which finally tamed his torrent of extreme violence."

The Metropolitan Police officers, who had a total of 24-and-a-half years' experience between them, were left deeply affected by the "deeply shocking, sudden and fast moving incident", the prosecutor said.

The whole incident was over in about 30 seconds and was caught on CCTV, which was played in court.

The defendant, who had appeared emotionless, gave no explanation after he was arrested, jurors were told.

He has denied four charges of attempted murder, and three alternative charges of wounding with intent and one of attempted wounding with intent.


Read more

Man who told police operator he strangled his wife found guilty of murder
Alesha MacPhail killer launches appeal