Pret a Manger has announced it will now list all ingredients and allergens on food products after a teenager died from an allergic reaction to one of the chain's sandwiches.
Fifteen-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse collapsed on a flight in July 2016 after eating an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette she had bought at a Pret outlet in Heathrow Airport.
The coroner at her inquest last week said she died of anaphylaxis after eating the Pret sandwich containing sesame, which she was allergic to.
Pret has announced that full ingredient labelling will be introduced to all products that are freshly made in its shop kitchens, and labels will list all ingredients, including allergens.
- Read more: Pret A Manger sold to owner of Krispy Kreme for £1.5 billion
- Read more: Cabin crew member about Pret allergy inquest: A defibrillator wouldn’t have worked on landing
The food company said it will start trialling full ingredient labelling on product packaging from next month, adding that this will be rolled out to all UK shops as quickly as possible.
Natasha's father Nadim said she died because of "inadequate food labelling laws", and has been campaigning with family members for a change in the law to save lives.
Clive Schlee, Pret a Manger's chief executive, said: "I want to say again how deeply sorry we are for the loss of Natasha.
"I said we would learn from this tragedy and ensure meaningful changes happen.
"I hope these measures set us on course to drive change in the industry so people with allergies are as protected and informed as possible.
"Nothing is more important to Pret right now."