Prince Charles has praised the “remarkable NHS” and shop workers for their contirbution to the fight against coronavirus in a new video message.
It was the future king’s first appearance since coming out of self-isolation after he tested positive for Covid-19 last week.
Speaking in support of the charity Age UK which he represents as patron, Charles addressed the “strange, frustrating and often distressing experience” of social distancing and self-isolation.
He said: “As a nation, we are faced by a profoundly challenging situation, which we are only too aware threatens the livelihoods, businesses and welfare of millions of our fellow citizens.
“None of us can say when this will end, but end it will. Until it does, let us all try and live with hope and, with faith in ourselves and each other, look forward to better times to come.”
The Prince of Wales paid tribute to frontline staff “that form the backbone of our remarkable NHS”, who he said were battling “heroically” to save lives.
He added: “Our thoughts and prayers are very much with those marvellous people whose extraordinary skills and utter, selfless devotion to duty and the care of their patients make us so very proud.”
The heir to the throne also said that supermarkets have become another form of “emergency service” during the pandemic and acknowledged staff “who are toiling as hard as they can” to keep shelves stocked.
The 71-year-old has completed his period of isolation at Birkhall, his home in Scotland, after developing mild symptoms of Covid-19 over the weekend of March 21/22.
His wife, the 72-year-old Duchess of Cornwall, tested negative for the virus but remains in self-isolation until the end of the week, observing the advice to separate for 14 days.
talkRADIO: Listen live for the latest updates on Covid-19