Protesters stage ‘die-in’ outside Dominic Cummings’ house

Video: Sami El-Enany // Twitter

Friday, June 5, 2020

Demonstrators have descended on the house of Dominic Cummings to protest the government’s response to the coronavirus crisis.

Around 20 campaigners lay on the street outside the chief adviser’s home in north London in a so-called “die-in” on Thursday evening.

It comes two weeks after it emerged that Mr Cummings drove 260 miles to County Durham to self-isolate with his family in late March, despite lockdown movement restrictions being in place.

The protesters chanted “Sack Dominic Cummings” and held a banner reading “Over 50,000 dead while you’re playing king of the castle”,  referencing his controversial journey to Barnard Castle in the North East.

They wore masks and told reporters that they were all socially distanced as they chanted and “not moving on”.

One of the demonstrators, Sita Bilani, was unable to attend the funeral of her aunt, who died with Covid-19 in April, due to social distancing measures. She said: “It’s insulting to hear Boris Johnson say we should ‘move on’.

“The lack of remorse, not just for Cummings' disregard for the rules but for the thousands of preventable deaths is a disgrace,” she added.

Police attended the 30-minute protest and said no arrests were made.

The protesters said they intend to build on the action and make more demonstrations on the issue.

Mr Cummings has previously said his home in London had been a “target for harassment”.

According to the latest government figures, 39,904 people have died in the UK with coronavirus.

Read more

Mike Graham rips up Guardian over test and trace claim

Shaun Bailey praises police for taking a knee at racism protest

talkRADIO: Listen live for the latest updates on Covid-19