Puppy dies of heart attack 'caused by fireworks'

Molly, left, died of a heart attack

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

A pet owner says her 18-week-old puppy died of a heart attack after being frightened by an "enormous amount" of fireworks.

Border terrier Molly "died of fright" after a series of "loud bangs" in the South Yorkshire area, according to her owner Susan Paterson.

Posting on local Facebook group, Wombwell wise, Ms Paterson called for more restrictions on when fireworks can be set off.

"Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack," she wrote.

"Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks."

The border terrier puppy was 18 weeks old

"Please support FAB Anti Random Fireworks page and sign their petition [Review firework rules to protect animals from injury and distress]."

The post has been shared over 70,000 times, and more than 500,000 people have now signed the petition Ms Paterson referenced.

The puppy owner said she was "dreading" further fireworks, and added: "Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts."

She is not the only pet owner to report the death of an animal coinciding with fireworks going off.

Sixty-year-old Donna Pilgrim from Cornwall shared a video of her rabbit Archie shaking from fear as a result of the noise on Sunday.

The one-year-old animal died the next day.

Today, a group of MPs called for "inconsiderate and irresponsible" firework use to be considered as socially unacceptable as drink-driving.

In a report, the House of Commons Petitions Committee suggested a review of the decibel limit of consumer fireworks, as well as allowing local authorities to introduce permits in areas where residents are troubled by irresponsible firework use.

Read more

Irresponsible firework use comparable to 'drink-driving', say MPs

Sainsbury’s bans sale of fireworks