Encona are on a mission to Banish the Bland and have teamed up with talkRADIO to bring you the Recipe of the Day!
Tune in to Penny Smith on Saturday mornings from 8am to hear each week's Recipe of the Day in association with Encona.
This week Barry Vera made Refried Beans, a spicy twist on a versatile Mexican classic.
See below for the Refried Beans recipe:
2 tablespoon olive oil
½ medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 can cooked black beans
200ml chicken stock, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
Encona West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and the spices and cook for 1 minute more to allow the spices to draw out the flavour.
- Stir in the beans, Encona West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce and chicken stock and cook until the beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Mash the beans coarsely with the back of a wooden spoon or with a fork, adding more chicken broth to moisten, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the coriander and to finish drizzle with olive oil and sea salt.