Safety warning after woman burned in battery-operated headphones explosion on flight to Melbourne

Woman burned after battery-operated headphones explode on flight to Melbourne

The woman's headphones exploded mid-flight, leaving her burned (Credit: Twitter @citizentvkenya)

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

An Australian woman was burned after her battery-operated headphones caught fire and exploded on a flight. 

The incident happened on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne in February. 

The woman, who hasn't been named, fell asleep wearing the headphones. Roughly two hours into the 11-hour flight, she woke up to the sound of a loud explosion and felt her face burning. 

She flung the headphones to the floor, where they continued to spark and release small amounts of fire.

According to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), flight attendants were on hand to put the burning headphones into water, before they checked on the woman's wellbeing.

They said passengers had to endure the smell of melted plastic and burnt electronics for the rest of the flight.

One passenger said: “People were coughing and choking the entire way home.”

The ATSB has released advice on how to treat battery-powered headphones on flights.