San Francisco judge blocks Donald Trump's executive order on 'sanctuary cities'

San Francisco judge blocks Donald Trump's executive order on 'sanctuary cities'

An executive order regarding sanctuary cities has been blocked by a judge in California

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A judge in San Francisco has blocked an executive order from Donald Trump regarding sanctuary cities. 

The order imposed by the President would have allowed the government to restrict funding for cities who fail to comply with federal demands on immigration. 

In a ruling, US District Judge William Orrick III said the language in which the executive order had been written made it clear Trump's administration would use it to block funding on areas other than law enforcement.  

This is the third order issued by President Trump to be blocked by the courts, following January's travel ban on citizens from seven majority-Muslim countries and a revised version of the ban in February. 

In a statement, the White House Press Office - led by Sean Spicer - blasted the ruling, saying the "rule of law" had "suffered another blow."

The House called it "one more example of egregious overreach by a single, unelected district judge," and said city officials who spearheaded policies like those in San Francisco "have the blood of dead Americans on their hands."

The Trump administration made it clear they would "pursue all legal remedies" by appealing to the Supreme Court. 

Trump has also issued a personal response to the decision, calling it "ridiculous."

Comments