Six-year-old killed in California festival shooting

Witnesses said the gunshots sounded like fireworks

Monday, July 29, 2019

Police have killed a man who is suspected of killing three people when he opened fire at a food festival in California.

The shooting at Gilroy Garlic Festival, 80 miles south-east of San Francisco, has left 15 injured and three dead, including a six-year-old boy.

Father Stephen Romero said his son “had his whole life to live and he was only six”.

The gunman gained entry to the popular festival by cutting through a fence to avoid metal detectors at the entrance.

Police confronted him within less than a minute of gunshots being fired.

Before it became clear the gunman had been stopped president Donald Trump tweeted a warning that urged people in the area to “be careful and safe!”

Singer Jack van Breen was on stage when the shooting began and said he saw a man wearing a green shirt and a grey handkerchief around his neck fire into the crowd with what looked like an assault rifle.

He and other members of his band Tin Man dove under the stage and he said he heard someone shout “why are you doing this?” The reply: “Because I’m really angry.”

Thirteen-year-old Evenny Reyes said she did not run at first because the gunshots sounded like fireworks.

“It started going for five minutes, maybe three. It was like the movies - everyone was crying, people were screaming,” she said.

“There was a little kid hurt on the ground. People were throwing tables and cutting fences to get out.”

Gilroy Police said: “The hearts of Gilroy PD and entire community go out to the victims of today's shooting”.

Read more

House of Representatives condemns Trump’s ‘racist' tweets

Tommy Robinson: New Zealand shooter a 'monster'