Soldier killed in incident involving tank at Ministry of Defence base

Soldier killed in incident involving tank at Ministry of Defence base

The incident involved a tank (Stock image)

Thursday, June 15, 2017

A soldier has been killed in an incident which involved a tank at a Ministry of Defence base in Pembrokeshire.

The soldier, part of the Royal Tank Regiment, was injured yesterday (Wednesday June 14) before passing away today, according to the BBC.

Defence minister Tobias Ellwood said: "It is with deep sadness that I can confirm the death of a soldier from the Royal Tank Regiment who died as a result of injuries sustained in an incident at Castlemartin Range."

He also said that the soldier's family were by his bedside when he died.

Three other soldiers were also injured in the incident and are said to be in a serious condition at different hospitals.

One is in Cardiff whilst another is in Swansea. The third injured soldier was airlifted to a hospital in Birmingham.

The incident is now being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive, Dyfed-Powys Police and the Ministry of Defence.

A live fire exercise had been scheduled for this week, according to the army's website. In May 2012 a soldier died at the same base in a live fire training session.