Students jailed for sexually abusing vulnerable girls

The students were sentenced at Stafford Crown Court (stock image)

The students were sentenced at Stafford Crown Court (stock image)

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Four students who sexually abused vulnerable girls have been jailed for between four and five years after a judge said they had treated their victims like "trophies".

Taiyab Hussain, Shaheem Ratyal and Sohail Ali, all aged 19, and 18-year-old Mohammed Rizwan, were arrested when a teenager realised she had been groomed after watching an educational video.

The defendants, all from Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire, pleaded guilty to sexual activity with a child and other sexual offences in February.

Passing sentence at Stafford Crown Court, Judge Jonathan Gosling made all four men the subject of a sexual harm prevention order banning them from using the Snapchat messaging app for eight years.

The judge said of the men: "At the time of the offences they were 17 or 18 and known to each other to different degrees through association, school and social media, although not all of them knew each other.

"It is clear from the evidence retrieved from various devices that there was communication between the defendants and it does establish their common interest in meeting and sexually abusing these girls.

"These were young men treating the young girls like trophies, and to some extent, one was spurring on another."

The judge said the four victims, one who had only just turned 13, meant nothing to the men and had been subjected to "extreme" offences.

Hussain, of Shobnall Street, was given a five-year sentence after sending highly sexualised text messages before abusing an "out of control" teenager in his car in the presence of another child.

Rizwan, of Derby Road, and Ratyal, of Grange Street, were both given sentences of four years and four months.

Ali, of Weston Park Avenue, admitted offences against a 13-year-old and was given a four-year term in a young offenders' institution.

Staffordshire Police said the charges were brought after five girls were sexually abused between December 2016 and March 2017.