Taliban claims responsibility for rocket attack after Pentagon chief James Mattis arrived in Kabul

Taliban claim responsibility for rocket attack after Pentagon chief James Mattis arrived in Kabul

The incident happened hours after the US official arrived in Kabul

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

A rocket attack was launched at Kabul International Airport on Wednesday morning.

Several rockets exploded in the area mere hours after James Mattis, the US Defense Secretary, arrived in Kabul. 

Local Afghan news outlets claim the Taliban have claimed responsibility, although several reports from foreign media outlets have said Islamic State also claimed the incident via the Amaq news agency. 

Le Figaro is reporting the former group has expressly said it was targeting the Pentagon chief in a message on Twitter.

The authorities in Afghanistan say a military part of the airport came under attack, and there had been no casualties. 

The weapons used in the incident have been reported to be SPG-9 rockets and mortars.

Mattis’s visit to Afghanistan follows US President Donald Trump's announcement of a new military campaign to deal with incursions by Taliban insurgents, who seek to establish Islamic law again after they were ousted in 2001.