Teenage gang rammed car into pedestrians in chilling reminder of London terror attacks

The incident took place near Angel station

There is no suggestion that the collision was part of a pre-conceived plan

Monday, October 16, 2017

Five teenagers have been sentenced after they drove a stolen vehicle into pedestrians outside a pub in Islington, in a chilling reminder of the recent terror attacks in Westminster and London Bridge.

They were sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday October 13, having been found guilty at the some court on September 21 following a four-day-trial.

The court heard that between March 21 and 23 2017, a silver Peugeot Partner Quicksilver was stolen from an address in Woodstock Road, Finsbury Park.

On Saturday March 25 at around 11pm, officers in a marked police van saw the vehicle on Colebrooke Row, near Angel tube station. The vehicle was travelling at speed and officers lost sight of it, but circulated its last known position. 

Another police car then spotted the vehicle on Essex Road which drove alongside them and tried to make off at speed. The suspect vehicle then exited the carriageway and mounted the pavement towards a group of around 20 pedestrians who were stood queuing outside the Old Queens Head pub. 

The car collided with three of the pedestrians, sending two of them over the bonnet. One of them was carried along by the vehicle before falling off and being run over and dragged along by the car. 

Eventually the car came to a stop in the middle of Essex Road. Police officers responded and began administering first aid until the arrival of London Ambulance Service [LAS].

Three people - two women and one man - were taken to hospital for treatment to their injuries. A fourth person was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The injured pedestrians did not suffer any life-threatening injuries; however one of the women who was injured still continues to undergo treatment with life-changing injuries. 

The occupants of the vehicle involved in the collision abandoned the vehicle and fled the scene on foot. Other officers at the scene chased them and made four arrests.

There is no suggestion that the collision was deliberate or part of any preconceived plan. Nonetheless, the five members of the gang were found guilty of various offences including dangerous driving, affray and theft.

Jason Furtado, 20 of Southgate Road, Islington, was jailed for four years. He received two years and eight months' imprisonment for dangerous driving to cause serious injury and one year and four months imprisonment for affray, to run consecutively. He was also disqualified from driving for three years.

Malique Howe, 19 and of South London, received 12 months' imprisonment for aggravated theft of motor vehicle at a youth offenders institute suspended for 12 months and was disqualified from driving for three years.

Aqeel Smith, 18, of Islington, received 18 months' imprisonment at a youth offenders institute for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle, and was disqualified from driving for 21 months.

A 17-year-old teenager received an 18-month detention and training order for aggravated theft of motor vehicle and was disqualified from driving for 12 months. The 17-year-old teenager was found guilty in his absence after failing to turn up for his trial. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

A 15-year-old boy received a 12 months youth referral order for aggravated theft of motor vehicle and was disqualified from driving for 12 months.

Detective Sergeant Samuel Benbow said: “This was a cowardly act by these young males who were recklessly out of control. They have caused innocent victims to suffer life-changing injuries and had the audacity to leave the scene with no regard for the welfare of those affected.

“The sentencing given by the judge reflects the serious nature of the act by the males and we now hope the victims can start moving on with their lives.” 

The case against a second 17-year-old was discontinued at Blackfriars Crown Court on the 8 September.