Teenager pleads guilty to throwing child off Tate Modern

Jonty Bravery will be sentenced in February

Friday, December 6, 2019

A teenager who threw a six-year-old boy from the Tate Modern’s viewing platform has pleaded guilty to attempted murder.

Jonty Bravery, 18, entered his plea during a 12-minute hearing at the Old Bailey and was remanded in custody. He will be sentenced in February next year.

Bravery was arrested moments after the incident on Sunday August 4, and has been held at Broadmoor Hospital since mid-October.

The teenager has been diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and was likely to have a personality disorder.

The court had previously heard how Bravery was seen wandering about the viewing platform before he picked up the child and threw him over the edge.

He then approached a member of staff and said “I think I've murdered someone, I've just thrown someone off the balcony.” He said he heard voices tell him he had to hurt or kill people.

The victim, who cannot be named due to age restrictions, has continued to recover slowly in his native France after months in intensive care.

Writing on a crowdfunding page last month, which has raised around £130,000 for his medical treatment, the boy’s family said he had regained some movement in his legs and was “now able to venture outside”.

CPS prosecutor Emma Jones said she was glad the boy’s family had been spared reliving the “traumatic experience” through a full trial.

“The boy was singled out by Bravery, who threw him from the viewing platform intending to kill him. That he survived the five-storey fall was extraordinary,” he said.

“Eye witness accounts and CCTV footage, along with Bravery's admissions at the time of the arrest that his actions were pre-planned, meant he had little choice but to accept responsibility for his actions.”

Read more

Boy 'thrown' from Tate Modern out of intensive care

Psychiatric reports ordered for teenage Tate suspect

talkRADIO: Listen live