Three people dead after shooting on tram in Netherlands

Tram

Police forces and emergency services at the scene of the incident in Utrecht

Monday, March 18, 2019

Three people have been killed and a further nine injured after a shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht.

Police have named the suspect in the attack as Turkish-born 37-year-old, Gokmen Tanis, and are considering the possibility of a "terrorist motive".

Police spokesman Bernhard Jens said nobody had been detained yet in the shooting and one possible "explanation is that the person fled by car". He did not rule out the possibility that more than one person was involved in the attack.

 

 

Authorities immediately raised the terror alert for the area to the maximum level in the wake of the incident which took place this morning an a tram at a busy traffic intersection.

Police, including heavily-armed officers, flooded the area and anti-terror officers have gathered in front of a block of flats close to the scene.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte called the situation "very worrying" and the country's counter-terror co-ordinator said in a tweet that a crisis team was meeting to discuss the situation.