Tommy Robinson has arrived at the Old Bailey for the latest stage of the case in which he allegedly committed contempt of court.
Attorney General Geoffrey Cox QC announced earlier this month that it was in the public interest to bring fresh proceedings against Robinson, who filmed people in a criminal trial and broadcast the footage on social media.
Robinson told supporters outside the court on Tuesday that the case against him was “politically motivated”.
Supporters of Tommy Robinson outside the court in London.
At least 400 supporters have gathered outside the court in London, with a counter demonstration of around one hundred people, organised by the Stand Up To Racism group, a short distance away.
Robinson was jailed for 13 months in May last year after he filmed people involved in a criminal trial at Leeds Crown Court but the ruling was overturned by the Court of Appeal in August.
The footage, lasting around an hour and a half, was watched 250,000 times within hours of being posted on Facebook.
It was filmed during one of a series of trials of a Huddersfield grooming gang, which was covered by strict reporting restrictions banning publication of any details until the end of the final one in September last year.
Mr Robinson was freed from prison after serving two months of his sentence.
Protesters at the counter demonstration outside the Old Bailey.
A statement from the Attorney General's office on March 7 said Mr Cox had reached his decision based on an assessment of the evidence and whether it was in the "wider public interest".
Mr Cox said: "After carefully considering the details of this case, I have concluded there are strong grounds to bring fresh contempt of court proceedings against Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson).
"As proceedings are now under way, it would not be appropriate to comment further and I remind everyone that it is an offence to comment on live court cases."