Tower block residents charged for combustible cladding removal call on government for help

NV Buildings

NV Buildings at Salford Quays. Image: Google Street View

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Residents of a Salford tower block facing a £2 million cladding removal bill are calling on the government for help.

Leaseholders at the £35 million housing development, NV Buildings, are facing costs of tens of thousands pounds to get rid of cladding that has been deemed a fire hazard by the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

However, as the cladding system on the building is not the aluminium composite material (ACM) which was used on Grenfell Tower, there will not be any financial support available from the government to have it removed.

Grenfell Tower was clad with the highly combustible ACM. Image: Getty

Housing secretary James Brokenshire, recently announced that the government would give financial support to local authorities to remove ACM cladding.

Private landlords, Mr Brokenshire said, should foot the bill for removing cladding themselves.

NV Building residents are now calling on the government to extend the guidance to other types of combustible cladding, including the expanded polystyrene insulation (EPS) which is used in their building's cladding system.

Since the combustible cladding was identified at NV Buildings, a 24/7 fire patrol paid for by residents has been implemented, Construction News reported.



Resident of NV Buildings, Peter Brown, told Inside Housing: "This new legislation is limited to buildings with ACM cladding – the type involved in the Grenfell Tower tragedy.

“However other cladding systems have been identified as a fire hazard but, unbelievably, so far there has been no attempt by the government to evaluate the severity or size of the danger from other types of combustible cladding.”

Government figures show that 441 tower blocks over 18 metres tall are clad with ACM.

It was announced at this year's Conservative Party conference that combustible cladding would be banned on new high-rise buildings, care homes, hospitals or student accommodation.