Tunisia: 'People need to be aware – terror threat is worldwide', says former security chief

Tunisia inquest: 'People need to be aware of the terror threat is worldwide'

The victims of the Sousse attack have been ruled to have been unlawfully killed

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A leading counter terrorism expert has said people need to take responsiblity for their own lives and be aware of the threats in the locations they travel to following the ruling in the inquest into the deaths of the victims of the Tunisia beach attack.

The coroner, Nicholas Loraine-Smith, ruled the victims of the attack in Sousse had been "unlawfully killed."

He ruled out neglect on behalf of the travel provider TUI and the staff of the Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel, but called the delay in the police response to the attack on the beach in Sousse to be "shambolic at best, cowardly at worst."

He said the authorities had "everything they required to confront the gunman and could have been at the scene within minutes", calling the delay "deliberate and unjustifiable."

Chris Phillips, the former head of the national counterterrorism office, spoke to Julia Hartley-Brewer about the inquest and called for people to be more aware of the risks.

He said: "We have to be aware the terrorism threat is worldwide and can bubble up in any place.

"There’s so much information now, and terrorism is happening on a daily basis.

"Before we jump to conclusions about lack of firearms, training, or information, people should take responsibility of their own lives and know what’s happening in the world."