Tunisia Sousse beach massacre: Inquest hears officers deliberately slowed their arrival at scene of attack

Sousse: Inquest hears hears how Tunisian law enforcement 'delayed arrival' to terrorist attack

Tributes made to the victims after the attack

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The inquest into the deaths of the British tourists massacred in Tunisia in 2015 has heard that law enforcement deliberately delayed their arrival at the scene of the attack. 

Thirty eight tourists were killed by extremist Seifeddine Rezgui Yacoubi, who opened fire on the beach outside the Imperial Marhaba Hotel and a nearby resort. Thirty of them were British.

After Rezgui was shot dead by specialist police forces, Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.  

The inquest at the Royal Courts of Justice in London was told how a local investigation into the slaughter criticised some police for stalling as they made their way to the hotel.

Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest, said a report by Tunisian Judge Akremi pointed out local units could have ended the slaughter before more police arrived on the scene. 

Ms Leek said: "He said the units that should have intervened deliberately and unjustifiably slowed down to delay their arrival at the hotel.

"They had the ability to put an end to the attack before the police arrived but wasted a considerable amount of time in getting to the hotel."

The hearing, which opened yesterday, is scheduled to last for seven weeks. It will examine security which had been put in place by the management tour firm and the travel advice for Tunisia by the UK Government.