Twitter has announced it will not delete accounts of the deceased, after backlash from bereaved families.
On Tuesday, the social media giant announced it would disable accounts that had been inactive for more than six months, including profiles belonging to people who had died.
But on Wednesday night, Twitter announced it would pause the plans until a process was in place for "memorialising" the accounts of dead users.
"We've heard you on the impact that this would have on the accounts of the deceased," the social network said.
"This was a miss on our part."
The widower of the murdered MP Jo Cox and the brother of a Manchester Arena terror attack victim have expressed their relief at the decision.
Brendan Cox said he was concerned his two children would be denied a chance to see what their mother did before she was murdered on June 16, 2016.
In response to the development, Mr Cox tweeted: "Thank you @Twitter and to everyone who complained loud enough to get this changed."
And Dan Hett, whose brother, Martyn Hett, was killed in the Manchester Arena terror attack in May 2017 while attending an Ariana Grande concert, said the issue should have been considered in the planning stages.
"The system works," he tweeted.
"Arguably should have been thought about in the planning stages, but thanks for the clear and quick response on this, @Twitter."
talkRADIO: Listen live