Two Italians in court over attack as Liverpool fan fights for life

Police made nine arrests before and after the game for various offences

Police made nine arrests before and after the game for various offences

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Two Italian men are due in court as a Liverpool fan fights for his life in hospital after being attacked at a Champions League match.

Father-of-three Sean Cox, 53, suffered serious head injuries when he was assaulted outside Anfield Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Liverpool fan had travelled from his home in Ireland with his brother to watch his team's semi-final against Roma.

He remains in a critical condition in hospital with a serious head wound.

On Thursday (April 26) Merseyside Police said two Italians had been charged in connection with the attack.

A statement said: "We can confirm that detectives have charged two Italian men following an incident in Anfield on Tuesday 24 April in which a 53-year-old man was seriously injured.

"Twenty-year-old Filippo Lombardi was charged with violent disorder and wounding/inflicting grievous bodily harm.

"Twenty-nine-year-old Daniele Sciusco was charged with violent disorder.

"Both men have been kept in custody to appear at South Sefton Magistrates' Court this morning, Thursday 26 April.

Sporadic trouble broke out in the city centre before the game, as more than 50,000 fans descended on Anfield, including around 5,000 supporters from Italy.

Fighting erupted near The Albert pub close to the ground shortly before kick-off, where it is believed Mr Cox was hit with a belt and fell to the ground.

Police made nine arrests before and after the game, for offences including affray, assault, possession of offensive weapons, possession of a controlled drug, criminal damage and being drunk and disorderly.

Liverpool and Roma have both condemned the violence and European football’s governing body, Uefa, is awaiting further information before proceeding.