An American man killed in the terror attack in Nairobi narrowly missed being caught in the 9/11 attacks, his family have said.
Jason Spindler, co-founder and managing director of the San Francisco-based company I-DEV International, was killed, while nine others were safely evacuated from its Nairobi office.
Mr Spindler’s father told media in the US that his son was working in finance at the time of the 9/11 attacks, for a firm based in the World Trade Center. He was running late that morning, and came out of the subway just as the first tower fell.
His father, speaking to the Associated Press, said Mr Spindler immediately began to assist others in the area.
His brother Jonathan reportedly wrote on Facebook: "Jason was a survivor of 9-11 and a fighter".
Luke Potter. Image: PA Newswire
At least 21 people, including Mr Spindler, are thought to have died in the attack, which happened on Tuesday January 15.
Militants from the Islamist Al-Shabab group stormed into the DusitD2 complex in Nairobi, which houses a luxury hotel and offices.
Kenyans Feisal Ahmed, 31, and Abdalla Dahir, 33, worked in global development for Adam Smith International, which implements economic and public service projects across the world. They were killed in the attack.
James Oduor, another Kenyan victim, was an avid football fan and supporter of Manchester United.
Kenyan security forces at the DusitD2 complex on January 16. Image: Getty
A British victim has been named as Luke Potter, 40, who worked for the international development charity Gatsby Africa.
The charity said it was “shocked and saddened” by his death, and described how he had been “instrumental” in establishing forestry programmes in Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are supporting the family of a British man killed in the recent terrorist attack in Kenya.
"We are also supporting a British person who was wounded during the attack and is receiving medical attention.
"We stand ready to help any other British people affected."
Announcing the end of the operation to secure the area on Wednesday, Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta said: "All the terrorists have been eliminated."
The terrorists were overpowered after a 19-hour siege.