The week's court news: conviction over Brussels terrorist assault, man spared jail after train exposure, teen guilty of stabbing

The week's court news: Man convicted of assisting Brussels terrorist, Man spared jail after train exposure, and teenager jailed after knifing death

The week's court news

Friday, December 9, 2016

In the latest, Court News and talkRADIO round up the most intriguing court stories from across the UK over the past week.

From a man convicted of providing money to one of the Brussels terrorists to a man spared jail after being caught watching porn on a train, we have combed the length and breadth of the country for the latest stories from UK courts.


Man convicted of providing money to suspected Brussels bomber

An extremist who may have helped finance the Brussels terror attacks for allegedly giving £3,000 of British dole money to the Belgian dubbed the 'Man in the Hat' is facing jail.

Boufassil was arrested at Gatwick Airport on 15 April as he returned from Morocco on suspicion of providing money for the preparation of terrorism.

During his trial, the court heard how 26-year-old Zakaria Boufassil met with Mohamed Abrini in a park in Birmingham in July 2015 to hand over the money.

Abrini is alleged to be the 'Man in the Hat' captured on CCTV alongside the terrorists who killed 12 people in the Belgian capital with suitcase bombs.

During his time in the UK, where he visited London, Birmingham, and Manchester, he went on a guided tour of Old Trafford football ground, taking dozens of photographs, making detectives believe it possible that a stadium attack was being planned.

The £3,000 handed to Abrini in a park in Birmingham by Boufassil and a second man, 27-year-old Mohammed Ali Ahmed, was housing benefit wrongly paid to a terrorist who is now fighting for ISIS in Syria.

A jury of six men and six women today (Tuesday) convicted Boufassil of providing money to Abrini for the preparation of terrorism.

Boufassil showed no emotion as the unanimous verdict was delivered. Mr Justice Baker will sentence him on December 12.


Man who exposed himself on a train spared jail  

A man who was caught with his trousers down while watching porn on a commuter train wept in the dock as he was spared jail.

42-year-old Richard Mortiboys watched explicit footage on his phone while pleasuring himself on a train to Tunbridge Wells.

Westminister Magistrates Court heard how when the father-of-one was caught out by a horrified ticket inspector, he claimed he had his trousers down merely to scratch his eczema.

He was removed from the train, where a small wrap of cocaine was found in his pocket.

The 42-year-old plead guilty to one count of exposure and one of possession of a class A drug.

He was given a community order, will have to complete up to 20 days of rehabilitation, and will have to be subject to a tagged curfew for three months.


Teenager jailed after stabbing a schoolboy to death

A teenager was jailed for 13 years for stabbing a schoolboy to death one month after he was sent on 'a knife awareness course.'

Walker Sesay was in a group of men called to deal with gatecrashers when a 16-year-old girl's birthday party ended in chaos after it was advertised on Instagram.

17-year-old Che Labastide-Wellington was knifed through the heart as he tried to escape a 'small army' of youths who turned up outside the gathering in Harrow, northwest London.

He was later pronounced dead at the scene less than an hour later.

During his trial at the Old Bailey, the court heard that 19-year-old Sesay had been sentenced for possessing of a large kitchen knife at the Notting Hill Carnival just a month before the attack. To avoid jail, he went on the knife awareness course instead.

The birthday girl's mother had banned alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes from the party in Belvedere Way and insisted everyone on the guest list was searched before they came in. But her daughter had posted a flyer on social media about the party, which caused scores of gatecrashers to try to get in.

The court heard how Sesay was among seven men summoned to the party and he stabbed Che in the chest as violence erupted.

He and six co-defendants were acquitted of murder by a jury after 42 hours and 24 minutes' of deliberations, but Sesay alone was found guilty of an alternative charge of manslaughter. He was sentenced to 13 years imprisonment.