Wildfire warning issued after BBQ spotted on Saddleworth Moor

Firefighters removed the BBQ from the moorland

Friday, July 5, 2019

Fire chiefs have issued a safety warning after a group of people were caught using a barbecue on Saddleworth Moor.

The incident took place last Saturday as temperatures in the UK reached 34C, but it did not start a blaze.

Despite this, the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) have reiterated that people should "never light a barbecue" on moorland.

Last year, Saddleworth Moor was engulfed by a huge fire, which took firefighters three weeks to put out.

It was treated as arson and the Army was drafted in to help stop it.

GMFRS's station manager, Dave Swallow, said: "Prevention and reassurance work around moorland fires continues across Greater Manchester, with ourselves often working closely with local councils and Greater Manchester Police.

"We continue to ask people to take care, especially when on the moors, and never light a barbecue or start any kind of fire. These fires are devastating and the consequences so costly - to the community, the environment and also to our service and resources."

Regular patrols will continue at local beauty spots by GMFRS community safety staff, fire crews and volunteers including Women's Institute members.

GMFRS has been working closely with local authorities, particularly Tameside and Oldham Councils, to implement Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO) which, if enforced, mean anyone caught lighting a fire or barbecue in specified areas will be fined.

Read more

Fire breaks out on Saddleworth Moor after day of record temperatures

Fire on Saddleworth Moor could go on 'for weeks'